Multi-Channel Publishing @ IP
After 11 years of awards to the best and brightest author in Australia and New Zealand, from 1 August 2012 the IP Picks Awards have been succeeded by the IP Rolling Picks Program. The categories you can apply to are the same as before: Fiction, Creative Non-fiction, Poetry, YA and Children's Prose, and First Book. You can still apply to more than one category for each submission.
What's the difference? IP Picks was an annual competition, opening from 1 October and closing 1 December, with guaranteed awards for the winning entry in its five categories. IP Rolling Picks offers continuous entry from 1 March to 1 December. Entries received will be shortlisted monthly. Our Editorial Board will meet twice yearly to pick between shortlisted entries, on or about 1 September and 1 April, respectively. Those picked will be offered royalty contracts for global physical and eBook publication and be in the running for the annual IP Picks Book of the Year Award in each category, decided by April 1 each year.
Key Features of the Rolling Picks Program
• IP is now open to proposals from authors and agents world-wide in the genres covered by our adult and children's imprints (previously, we were only open to submissions from Australians and New Zealanders).
• Initial entries must be accompanied by a reading fee of AU$77 per category (GST-inclusive for Australian entrants) or AU$70 / US$75 for international entrants, except for published authors and applicants eligible for a concession – see below. As a bonus, entrants may nominate a free Pick of any IP branded title in either physical or eBook editions for Australian residents or eBook (pdf or ePub) for international entrants. Initial submission packages must consist of a letter of introduction, a synopsis of the work and a representative sample of 5% of the work (see our Guidelines for further information).
• Initial entries are read in order of receipt by IP staff. Those of promise will be invited to submit a complete manuscript as a digital file (Word / Pages / PDF) for possible shortlisting. The reading fee for a complete project is AU$399 (for Australian residents, GST-inclusive) or AU$365 / US$370 for international authors. For authors/illustrators of illustrated children's picture books, the fee is AU$299 / AU$275 or US$280. Included in this fee is a Reader's Report of 2-4 pages outlining the strengths and weaknesses of the project and recommendations for improving it.
• Once you receive your Reader's Report, we encourage you to revise and, if you choose, to resubmit the manuscript again. At this point, the entry will be read and discussed at our next monthly Editorial Board meeting. Those entries of sufficient merit will be shortlisted and you'll be told if your manuscript has advanced to the next stage. If it hasn't, we may invite you to prepare a Follow-up Reader's Report on your project after which you will be able to submit it again. The fee for this is AU$299 / AU$275 or $US280. You may resubmit up to two times following your initial Reader's Report.
• At our twice-yearly Board meeting, we'll decide on a list of up to 20 projects for royalty contracts offers. Short-listed titles that don't make the cut will be eligible for a follow-up Reader's Report at the fee of AU$299 / AU$275 and will be guaranteed short-listing for the next twice-yearly Board meeting.
• Australian Picks selections will be offered guaranteed conventional print and POD publication (with an option to be published in eBook versions as well). International Picks winners will be offered POD and eBook publication in the major formats available at the time (currently optimised pdf, ePub and .mobi).
• Further, at the judges' discretion, there may be Picks Winners in each of the five categories, chosen from the Picks Selections in each category, essentially making them Book of the Year in their category.
• Exemptions and Concessions. You may apply to us for an exemption from the initial entry fee if you 1) are an author with at least one book credit from a recognised national publisher; or 2) you are a full-time student or pension card holder (proof required). Concession card holders are also eligible for a 20% discount on Reader's Reports and Follow-up Reports.
Here's a list of IP Picks winners up to 2012. We encourage you to click through to see the quality of our titles.
For the latest news about IP Rolling Picks, please follow us on...
Updated on 4 November 2012